Monday, August 07, 2006

What about me?

Recently I have been telling you about the two godliest people I know, my mother and step-father. I have been relating their hearts for God, and how each of them are continuing to persevere in being about our “Father’s business”.

I ended the article “What Good?” with this paragraph, “Friends, the next time you are faced with pain, heartbreak, or grief; the next time you are faced with trying to comfort someone going through a difficult time - think about these verses. Then ask how you grow to be more Christ-like, to further the Kingdom of Heaven…

Jesus Christ set the example - “Father, not as I will, but as You will.” Matthew 26:39a

Loren, a beloved brother in Christ, and author of the POLD blog has constantly been an encouragement in word and prayer… Last week he gently chastised me (deservedly so) for worrying about what is going to happen to my mom and step-dad with this verse, “Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about its own things. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble.” Matthew 6:34

The Message Bible (Remix) puts it like this, “Give your entire attention to what God is doing right now, and don't get worked up about what may or may not happen tomorrow. God will help you deal with whatever hard things come up when the time comes.

I went back and reread “What Good?” Something occurred to me. Romans 8:28 starts with this phrase, “And we know that all things…” We have already discussed what the “Good” is.

However, here is a thought that I am not sure I communicated…
I see how God is moving in Fred, my step-dad’s life. I see him as a godly inspiration on persevering to further the Kingdom of Heaven… Mom, also, her godliness, her spirit, her perseverance are inspirations. Their example humbles me.

But Loren, when he chastised me, pointed out a little simple something…
If “all things” is true - then what about me? What effect is “what God is doing right now” having on me? I have to look in the mirror and ask myself, “How is their experience making ME more Christ-like?” “How am I growing to be more Christ-like because of what they are teaching me?”

In other words, I have to stop ‘watching’ their inspiring story, and start living the lessons they are teaching. I have to stop asking myself if I could be as perseverant (NOT) and start becoming - so that I learn what God is teaching me. Yes, my folks are godly, but am I? Am I becoming more Christ-like, learning, and living their example and testimony?

In “Unbelievable” I wrote, “I just pray I have that kind of heart for God, and Christ-like attitude…” The truth is I will not if I do not start doing instead of watching. In “Unsung”, I wrote, “Every time I talk to her [my mom]; she tells me about something NEW she has learned from it. [The Bible]” Can she say the same thing when she talks to me?

An inspiration is only as good as it inspires… That is, if I do not change, becoming more Christ-like, then I am not truly inspired.

Developing a Christ-like attitude is not about watching, it is about doing…

1 Comments:

Blogger Cleopas said...

Sounds like your mom and your step dad have been two great examples of not just watching, but doing. Thank God they're doing better. Are they online, by the way, and do they have the chance to read articles like this one?

Loren

4:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home