Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Wild Weekend

Wow, it is Wednesday. This has been a tumultuous week.

Friday last, my best friend, D.L. went to the hospital for a ‘routine outpatient surgical procedure’. Arriving home from my own doctor appointment, I saw his and his wife’s trucks outside their house (they are my best friends and next door neighbors - makes things convenient). Calling to check on him, received the disturbing news that, “Something is not right!”

Later Friday night, he was an admit to the telemetry ward (one step below I.C.U.). It seems the ‘routine’ part of the surgical procedure was not.
He is bleeding internally. It is a dangerous and extremely painful situation. The doctors are trying to get the bleeding under control without emergency surgery, and seriously concerned about infection.
So there he is Saturday morning hooked up to every machine the hospital has got - looking like he is at death’s door - doped up - crying he is in so much pain.

First visitor Saturday, hoping, praying and willing for his recovery, I waited and watched, the only thing truly helpful I can do is pray.

Later in the day, he seems to be stabilizing. Taking a break to make room for the numerous other friends and family there to see him - and tired of seeing the serious concern on my face mirrored on theirs - I went to the hospital lobby.
Running headlong into a crowd, it was obvious someone had died. Not just someone, from the size of the group, someone well loved with many family and friends. The group extended outside; there were easily more than twenty people there. All of them deep in sorrow, tears flowed from just about every face, men, women and children.

Two thoughts struck in quick succession. The first was that I had not really thought about the ‘if’ of eternity when I was with D.L. I thought about the loss to Linda, his son, his family and to me, but I had not even considered the consequences of D.L.’s death and eternity. Simply because I know that D.L. is a Christian. I know he knows that Jesus Christ died on the cross for his sins and to cleanse him from all unrighteousness [1 John 1:9]. The thought never occurred to me to be concerned for his eternal welfare - because I already know.

The second thought that struck me was that the family that had just suffered the loss of a loved one was doing it without hope. It was obvious from every face that all they felt was pain, loss, helplessness and hopelessness. There was no one there even trying to offer solace that the deceased was ‘in a better place’. These people were lost and there was no comfort.

How sad. I am sure that at some huge memorial service someone will try to intimate that since the deceased was a ‘good person’, or a ‘good parent’, or a ‘good child’ or an ‘outstanding member of the community’ that the person is now ‘in a better place’. That by some virtue of their own they are somehow deserving of heaven… Sadly, some of the family and friends will take comfort in that thought. Sadly, few will consider the truth.

For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.” Romans 6:23

D.L. is recovering and is now recuperating at home.
I am not.
Running into that family was a poignant reminder that there are people, our neighbors, friends, relatives or just acquaintances that have not heard the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Moreover, all of us are running out of time - to share it - to hear it…


1 Comments:

Blogger Cleopas said...

What a poignant reminder that our life is a breath, and our highest goal in living is to believe in Jesus and secure our eternity in Him.

Yes, I'm sure someone will speak up and say he is now in a better place. I've seen that happen at a funeral before. But my experience is that those words can fall so flat in the light of what everyone knows in their hearts, that they tend to remind and convict everyone rather than soothing anyone.

Hope you get some rest this week, and a blessing. Based on your last few postings, you could use some edification and refreshing.

Loren

4:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home