Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Options & Consequences
OR
Gambling with Eternity

A friend of mine has a two and half year old son. He is a bright lad. Sometimes he has clarity of insight that borders on genius. A few weeks ago he was sitting on the front porch. He had a ‘snack-bag’ with him. In the bag was a mixture of oat ‘O’s (a snack he likes) and animal crackers. With careful intensity, he was determining what he would eat. He looked up with a grin and certainty then exclaimed, “Options are good!”

A week later, sitting at the dinner table, the boy faced a dilemma. His mom had placed a plate of ‘yucky’ green stuff in front of him. In plain view, but out of reach, was a bowl of strawberries (one of his favorite foods). He was told, clearly, that the green stuff had to be eaten before the strawberries. No green stuff, and there would be no strawberries. Unlike many two year olds, the boy did not have a ‘melt down’ screaming and kicking and carrying on (though sometimes he does have his ‘terrible two’s tantrums’). No, he perused his dilemma - eat yuck, and get strawberries or not eat yuck and not get strawberries… He looked up with an exasperated sigh and declared, “Sometimes options are bad!”

This from a two year old… Abstract concepts of the ‘reality’ of ‘free will’ and choice clearly stated based on observation and experience.

Options are good.
Sometimes options are bad.

Consider options in light of ‘eternity’ or 'the afterlife’ or ‘whatever comes after death’. We can say with some certainty that we are going to die. Sometime, somewhere, somehow all of us are going to die. We also recognized that according to almost every ‘religion’ or belief system, after death comes a judgement (see the three part article ‘Judged’).

By now, it should be obvious that I believe in the afterlife. I believe in heaven and hell. I believe everyone faces judgement. I believe that belief in Jesus Christ, as Savior is the ONLY way to get into heaven. I believe that the moment a person believes, confesses and accepts Jesus Christ as their personal savior, they are judged ‘not guilty’ by God, and become ‘inheritors’ of heaven [*].

The result of this belief system is a ‘moral life’. What it means is that I ‘try’ to obey the Bible, and its teachings. I try to obey the Ten Commandments. I try to love my neighbor, etc. I believe in moral absolutes, Truth, and attempt to live a life glorifying to God, attempting to become more ‘Christ-like’, and obedient to God.


Now, we live in a society of ‘pick a religion’. One is ‘free’ to choose what ‘religion’ one believes (in some countries - public espousal of religious preference is illegal or grounds for persecution, but the individual choice is still there).

Let us look at some options.
Consider this from my point of view. We know what I believe; it is on this blog continuously from the first article.

Options:
If I die and I am absolutely, positively, without a doubt proven WRONG, what happens? [We are going to ‘revisit’ “A Note From the Damned” 27 July 2005.]

According to the Catholic Church, I may not quite be damned. The Catholic Church has been vacillating on this point. The Catechism of the Catholic Church Canons 1258, 1260, 1263 offer the ‘opportunity’ of salvation outside the Church. Pope John Paul II said, in September 1998, “Normally, “it will be in the sincere practice of what is good in their own religious traditions and by following the dictates of their own conscience that the members of other religions respond positively to God’s invitation and receive salvation in Jesus Christ, even while they do not recognize or acknowledge him as their Savior.” It “appears” that while Catholics believe they are the ONE TRUE religion, that it MIGHT be possible for others to enter heaven.

In other words, The Catholic Church says that The Catholic Church is the way to Salvation, but their might be ‘back doors’. So, having attempted to live an ‘upright’ life, I might still get into heaven. I might have to do an extra millennia or two in purgatory for my ‘disagreements’ with the Catholic Church, but hey, what is a millennia compared to eternity? Eventually, I will make it to heaven.

According to Islam, I may not quite be permanently damned either. Islam holds that there are ‘levels’ of damnation and “heaven”. Islam contends that ‘salvation’ is by works. Having done good works in the name of ‘Allah’, I may get a shot at Islam’s heaven. While I have ‘rejected’ Islam, I have not fully explored Islam, so the condemnation of rejection may not be fully justified. At the same time, Islam does not ‘totally’ condemn the ignorant. Therefore, having done good works with faith, and being somewhat ‘ignorant’ of all that Islam entails, I may ignorantly merit some form of ‘salvation’.

According to Judaism, I may not quite be permanently damned either. I do believe the ‘Old Testament’, that is the “TaNaKh” or Jewish ‘Bible’. I believe in the God of Abraham. I do disagree with ‘mainline’ Judaism in the basic nature of man (Judaism believes man to be ‘good’, I disagree). Other than that, I honor the Covenant of Abraham and Isaac. I acknowledge (and support) the fact that the Jews are God’s Chosen People. Since modern Judaism is based on works, not sacrifices (as outlined in the Old Testament), then by doing good works and honoring the “God of Abraham”, I may merit ‘salvation’. While salvation to the Jews is ambiguous, my ‘obedience’ to and reverence for the ‘God of Abraham’ may warrant relief from ‘damnation’.

According to Buddhism, I may not repeat life as an annoying insect. While my main roadblock to ‘enlightenment’ and Nirvana is ignorance, I am not hopeless. By trying to follow the absolute moral truth as outlined in the Bible, I am following some of the ‘paths’ of the ‘Noble Eightfold Path”. I may not ‘reach’ Nirvana this go round; however, I may become someone more ‘enlightened’, perhaps even a Buddhist monk, in my next incarnation. Even if I go backwards on the wheel of enlightenment, there is still hope that one of these lifetimes I will reach Nirvana.

According to Hinduism, I may not be damned. Of the ‘Four Yogas’, I actually follow at least three. Jnana yoga: I attempt to understand the ‘unreal’ or supernatural way of the universe. Bhakti yoga: I wholeheartedly (try) to worship and love the ‘divine’ (I describe that divine through my understanding as the One God). I (try) to love my neighbor. Karma yoga: I (try) to do good works as an example of my love for the divine (usually) without regard for personal gain. I do not live a life totally devoted to meditation (the Raja yoga), I do spend time every day contemplating and conversing with the ‘divine’ (God). I may not ‘escape’ the cycle of birth and rebirth - entering Brahman - this cycle, I may be reborn into a more enlightened self in the next cycle. Ultimately, I have an eternity of cycles to ‘get it right’.

According to Humanists, I never have been damned. Since there is no God and no afterlife (heaven or hell), I can not go wrong. I live my life according to a code of behavior that gives me ‘pleasure’. I obey the law of the land. Worse case scenario, I am a little bit of a lunatic. My name is not in the history books, I have not amassed a fortune, and I am not 'considered' a great success (although with humanists - success is arbitrary so I may be a success). I have lived a lived a life that for me is okay. Why should I worry? There is no afterlife, so my ‘testament’ to life will be the number of people that show up at my funeral and my epitaph. Since I will not be around to know, who cares?

Options are Good.
If I am absolutely wrong in my beliefs, then the worse case scenario is that the ‘Divine’ will judge me as lacking, but I may still make it into ‘heaven’ eventually. The best case scenario is that my life will be ‘accounted for righteousness’ and I will be accepted into ‘heaven’. Meanwhile, I have lived a life ‘basically good’, I have HOPE, and I will die at peace (I will go kicking and screaming - but in the final analysis - I have PEACE about this life and the hereafter). Therefore, even if I am completely wrong, I have hope, I have love, I have rest, and I have peace.

Some Options are Bad.
If, on the other hand, I am absolutely right, what does that mean? "Jesus said to him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."" John 14:6

No ‘good works’ will save anyone. No belief in a ‘religion’, denomination, or ‘church’ will get one into heaven. No suicide ‘for god’ will erase sins and bring ‘glory’ to Allah. No trappings of religious fervor will help one. No ‘path of enlightenment’ will mitigate a guilty verdict or allow endless chances to become ‘enlightened’. No human knowledge will explain away the existence of God when standing before His Throne facing judgement.
One not believing in the salvation offered by Jesus on the Cross face a ‘guilty’ verdict and be eternally separated from God.

As I said, I have HOPE for a better forever. I have love and rest in the knowledge that God calls me, “His own”. I have hope and peace, knowing I have been judged ‘Not Guilty’ and will spend eternity in His Love…

If I am wrong about salvation, so what?

If I am right, Hallelujah!

Can you say the same?
Is it worth the gamble?


Notes
[*] See the ‘comments’ for a partial listing of Bible verses showing that ‘Christians’ have already been judged righteous.

3 Comments:

Blogger Unchained Slave said...

If we are born again, we are already judged righteous - we will NEVER have to ‘be judged’ righteous! Not at death, not at the ‘Rapture’, not at the ‘White Throne Judgement’

“These things I have written to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, that you may know that you have eternal life, and that you may continue to believe in the name of the Son of God.” I John 5:13

“For He made Him who knew no sin to be sin for us, that we might become the righteousness of God in Him.” 2 Corinthians 5:21

“and by Him everyone who believes is justified from all things from which you could not be justified by the law of Moses.” Acts 13:39

“For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has made me free from the law of sin and death. For what the law could not do in that it was weak through the flesh, God did by sending His own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, on account of sin: He condemned sin in the flesh, that the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us who do not walk according to the flesh but according to the Spirit.” Romans 8:2-4

“Christ has redeemed us from the curse of the law, having become a curse for us (for it is written, “Cursed is everyone who hangs on a tree”),” Galatians 3:13

“Most assuredly, I say to you, he who hears My word and believes in Him who sent Me has everlasting life, and shall not come into judgment, but has passed from death into life.” John 5:24

“In Him you also trusted, after you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation; in whom also, having believed, you were sealed with the Holy Spirit of promise,” Ephesians 1:13


(Romans 6:18, 22; 1 Peter 1:4; Matthew 19:29; Ephesians 4:30; John 14:16 & 17; Psalm 37:28; John 1:12 & 13; II Corinthians 5:17; Eph. 2:10; II Tim. 4:18; I Peter 1:5; John 17:11; Romans 8:38 & 39; II Timothy 1:12; John 10:27 & 28; John 6:37; John 10:27 - 30; John 7:47; Hebrews 10:17; I John 3:2; Romans 8:30; I Peter 1:23; Colossians 3:3; Romans 6:2 -7; Hebrews 9:12; Hebrews 13:20; Jude 24; Romans 11:29; Romans 4:6 & 7; Hebrews 12:2)

12:04 PM  
Blogger Bethie Marie said...

Man, you're going home! It doesn't matter which you choose. On the Holy Inheritance blog today there is a post which I think is titled "Perfect Absolute Peace," or something like that. Although the message seems Christian, it surely is Buddhist, and Hindu, and Muslim, and Humanist. When you begin to see the oneness of all, you're very close.

4:04 PM  
Blogger loren said...

You've made some excellent points and done your homework as always, well done! Unfortunately I think 'holyinheritance' missed those points completely. So I'd like to add another point to think about.

Jesus lived, and died, and rose again. This was foretold for centuries in advance and the effects of His resurrection have transcended the ages to still change lives today. None of those other religions can say anything close to this.

So what is life about? And what about the after life? Ask the only one who ever died and rose again. Everyone else is speculating, but He would really know. This is the most staggering truth mankind can ever grasp.

7:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home